In a MOSS farm, you get the following error messages in Application log of all WFEs.
The timer lock for Web server 'WFE2' was overridden by Web server 'WFE1' because the lock had not been refreshed within the 20 minute timeout. The timer service on 'WFE2' may be malfunctioning.
The timer lock for Web server 'WFE1' was overridden by Web server 'WFE2' because the lock had not been refreshed within the 20 minute timeout. The timer service on 'WFE1' may be malfunctioning.
Verify if this error is preceded with errors indicating WFE unable to connect DB server, such as Could not open a connection to SQL Server.
Educated guess would be that WFEs put a timer lock in DB during some sensitive operations to block access from other timer services. If there is connection issues between WFEs and DB, timer jobs are unable to clear the lock which might lead to these kind of error messages.
Check network connections and that WFEs have access to DB server.
Have you managed to find out something else about this? I'm having a farm with two front-ends, one back-end and one db server that is suffering from this. I've checked the network connections and the credentials for the service accounts and all seems well.ReplyDelete
did you try to restart the SharePoint Timer service in Windows Services?
Yes, I did. I'm afraid it was to no use.ReplyDelete
any solution for this please..ReplyDelete
Unfortunately, this is one of them "MOSS-things" that happen, and disappear. Maybe contacting Microsoft support about this would be good idea, as long as you've confirmed that the issue persist with the latest Service Pack and Cumulative Update.ReplyDelete
I was facing the exactly same issue, and here is the fix that resolved my issue.ReplyDelete
TimerLock Table was displaying the WFE2 that hold the lock. I stopped the Timer service of WFE2. As it takes 20 minutes of so to update this timerlock table, I waited till that time. WFE1 was working since setup (Year 2008) and we added this WFE2 a couple of months back. Because of last week failure, it seems that WFE2 timer service is behaving incorrectly.